University Women’s Club of Vancouver
Our commitment to Privacy
University Women’s Club of Vancouver (‘the Club’) is committed to maintaining the security, confidentiality and privacy of your personal information.
Scope of Policy
This Policy applies to the Club’s collection, use and disclosure of personal information relating to its members, donors, rental clients, staff and others. In accordance with the privacy legislation, this policy does not impose any limits on collection, use or disclosure of the following information:
- Business contact information
- Publicly available information (such as information in telephone directories and public registries).
The Manager-Finance and Administration has the responsibility for day-to-day compliance with the policy.
Purposes, Collection and Use of information for Members, Donors and Others
The Club collects personal information of members or prospective members, including:
- Name, address, phone numbers, email, degree information including school and year of graduation, birth date, occupation or former occupation, interests
- Billing information such as credit card if provided
- Information on involvement in the Club’s governance and committees
- Photographs at Club events
We collect this information for the following purposes:
- To evaluate and process membership applications
- To allow communication with members and facilitate communication among members
- To provide services to members and Clients
- To monitor, process and collect membership dues, event fees and other fees
- To maintain information about skills, abilities, and interests of members
- To inform members, donors, prospective members and Clients about the Club’s activities, programs and services
- To recognize member achievements and donor contributions among membership as well as publicly and to promote publicly the activities of the Club
- To archive the activities of the Club and maintain records of the Club’s history
- To meet our legal and regulatory requirements (e.g., statutory filings).
The Club will not disclose members’ private information to any third party, other than as required by law, except the following:
- Provide contact information to Hycroft Heritage Preservation Foundation
- Publication of a members’ directory, whether in paper or electronic form
- Recognition of members’ achievements, donors’ contributions and Board or committee appointments
- Publication of new members’ names and education credentials in the Club newsletter (which may be available to third parties)
- Publication of photographs of Club events.
In applying for membership, members give their express consent, and longer time members are deemed to have given their consent, to the Club’s publishing of member information as outlined above in the directory and to the publication of names and photographs of members at Club events for the purposes of communicating with members and others about the Club activities and to promote the Club.
With the exception of photographs (as provided for in this Policy), the Club directs members to not to copy, distribute, sell or otherwise share such information with non-members. The Club reminds members that they should not send promotional email or any other unsolicited email to another member unless it is for a specific purpose relating to that member. However, the Club cannot guarantee the security of this private information in members’ hands. Members can limit the type of information to be published, or can withdraw their consent at any time, by notifying the Club Office in writing or by email. Notification related to the publishing of the members’ directory must be received by the last date of August to take effect for the year’s directory.
The Club collects personal information
- To allow communication regarding a booking
- To process and collect rental and related fees
- To inform about the Club’s services and activities
The Club will keep any billing related information secure. The Club will retain personal contact information, so that we may inform from time to time of services we offer, events and programs or special events.
The Club will not disclose rental guest information to any other party. Rental clients who do not wish to be contacted in the future can advise the Club, through the Rental Event Coordinator, to destroy their personal information.
The Club will collect and use personal information about its employees or prospective employees that is reasonable for the purposes of establishing, managing and terminating an employee relationship between the Club and the individual and for complying with employment and tax laws. Such personal information shall be retained to comply with applicable legislative and regulatory requirements, following which it will be destroyed. Personal information about employees will not be used for any other purpose without their express consent (e.g., to recognize employees publicly or for archival or historical purposes.)
The Club will make a reasonable effort to ensure that the personal information it uses is accurate. The Club relies on members and employees to update their personal information, in particular address, telephone number and email, to ensure its accuracy.
The Club will protect the personal information in its custody or control by making reasonable security arrangements to prevent unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal or similar risks.
Some specific measures include:
- Physical protection such as locked filing cabinets
- Electronic measures such as passwords and firewalls
- Organizational measures such as restricting employee access to files and databases as appropriate and instructing employees on the protection of personal information.
- Where volunteers or third party contractors perform internal functions, for example accounting or information technology management, the same measures will apply as for employees. Each third party partner has agreed to meet our standards of privacy, confidentiality and security.
Members, Donors, Rental Clients, Employees and Others may access their own personal information held by the Club. Upon written request and authentication of your identity, the Club will provide you within 30 days your personal information under its control or will provide written notice where additional time is required to fulfill the request (for example, with archived records).
Photographs may be taken during events, which may or may not include recognizable images of people. By participating in an event, you consent to being photographed and authorize the UWCV to use the photographs for promotional and archival purposes.
Any inquiries, complaints or questions regarding this Policy should be directed in writing to the Club’s Privacy Officer:
University Women’s Club of Vancouver
1489 McRae Avenue
Vancouver, BC V6H 1V1
Approved by the Board of Directors of the University Women’s Club of Vancouver – October 2013.