The University Women’s Club of Vancouver, the second University Women's Club in Canada,
was founded on May 11, 1907 by a group of eight young women graduates
of universities in Eastern Canada and the U.S.A.
Purchased Hycroft 1962
Membership having grown out of available meeting spaces, we purchased Hycroft to be our Clubhouse
Our Members Now
Current membership approaching 400 represents graduates from over 100 universities worldwide.
Affiliation with CFUW and IFUW
Our Club joined the Canadian Federation of University Women, established in 1919, to become an affiliate of the newly founded International Federation of University Women, founded following WWI to allow women to speak with a common voice in support of peace. IFUW acts as a forum, a facilitator and an advocate for the rights and well-being of women around the world. Here in BC our Club is linked to twenty-three sister clubs across the province through the CFUW BC Council.
Working together, we support education, public awareness and positive social action in our communities. See www.cfuw.org or www.ifuw.org
To stimulate intellectual activity
To promote an interest in public affairs and to afford an opportunity for the expression of a united opinion
To promote an interest in educational issues and in the maintenance of high standards of public education, and to provide bursaries and scholarships
To facilitate fellowship and co-operation among university women
To preserve and be responsible stewards of Hycroft, a City of Vancouver designated heritage building
In 1985 we adopted a Coat of Arms to reflect the Club's origins in education, our growth, and stewardship of Hycroft and the City of Vancouver. It is now our official club emblem and represents:
Lamp of Learning: the official symbol of the CFUW, it signifies our connection to the national organization.
The Open Book: represents the academic basis of our organization.
The Oar and the Axe in Turret: the badge from the City of Vancouver's coat of arms. Permission to use this symbol was granted to the UWCV by then-Mayor, Mike Harcourt.
Green and white stripes symbolize the entrance gates at Hycroft and are the official colours of the Club.
Our Motto Dux Femina Facti Loosely translated means "Woman Leads the Way."
We are bound by Constitution & Bylaws and Club Rules.
Directors are elected at our Annual General Meeting.
Board of Directors 2014 - 2015
President - Dawn Longshaw
1st Vice President - Cleta Brown
2nd Vice President - Eleanore Lawrey
Secretary - MJ Ankenman
Treasurer - Therese Soong
Education Chair - Beryl Matthewson
House Chair - Maureen Attwell
Membership Chair - Maureen Kling
Member Relations - Pam Addinall
Member At Large - Charlotte Burns
Past President 2011 - 2013 - Louise Corrall
Past President 2009 - 2011 - Elizabeth Gautschi
See Committees & Interest Groups