Our Advocacy Work
We are proud to be a club that promotes opportunities to speak with a common voice in support of rights for women.
Members work on committees in support of the goals of the Club and our national and international counterparts, the Canadian Federation of University Women and the International Federation of University Women. We have become advocates in raising member and public awareness on a variety of issues ranging from health to the status of women, from education to the environment, from peace to the rights of the child, and the list continues. Participation in the provincial and national levels of our organization offers opportunities for networking, mentorship, and advocacy across Canada. For our latest advocacy work in conjunction with the CFUW BC Council, C. All members are invited to participate. Here
Some of our involvements have included:
- Hosting forums on homelessness in our city
- Working with other community groups to end human trafficking and prostitution
- Working with the Senate at the University of British Columbia to increase the safety of women on campus
- Advocating for a study of proportional representation electoral system in BC
- Developing ongoing speaker series on health issues
- Developing policy and activism on issues related to education, the status of women, equality and human rights, and the environment
- Advocating for gun-control legislation, and anti-pornography legislation following adoption of policy at the CFUW AGMs.
- Providing scholarships through CFUW Charitable Trust and fundraising for the CFUW Ecole Polytechnqiue Commemorative Award
- CFUW has Special Consultative Status at the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC0). Since 1968 CFUW has sent a representative to the annual Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) Consultation on the Status of Women.
- CFUW is a member of the Canadian Committee for UNESCO’s subcommittee on education.
- Through IFUW we support and are involved in the development of community leadership skills for women throughout the world.
- We have developed policy and advocacy for the rights of the child.
- We support IFUW work in offering international fellowships
- IFUW has Special Consultative Status at ECOSOC, UNICEF, UNESCO, and the International Labour Organization (ILO)